Wheels Down in...
“When fighting cancer, NO KID rides alone.”
Over 200 riders participated in the inaugural “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer” bike ride!
The “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer” bike ride was created to raise public awareness of this childhood-stealing disease and support the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute‘s mission to translate today’s discoveries in childhood cancer into tomorrow’s treatments. Proceeds generated will be used to provide funding for innovative research projects that hold great promise but don’t yet qualify for federal or more extensive funding. You are helping to keep the research funding for these potentially lifesaving projects geared up and moving forward!
Your participation or sponsorship directly impacts pediatric cancer research and supports cutting-edge research programs that help train the next generation of research scientists and specialists.
Thanks to everyone who helped make this soon-to-be annual event a tremendous success!
Gear Up Against Kids Cancer, Organizing Committee
- Saturday, April 1st, 2023
- Floresville River City Park
Floresville, TX 78114
We have designed three road courses, 28mi, 40mi, and 60mi, that will take you from the Floresville River City Park and travel along many of the most scenic roads in Wilson County, Texas!
Are you ready to “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer?”
Early-Bird Registration (ends March 17, 2023)
28-mile ride: $40
40-mile ride: $40
60-mile ride: $40 (new!)
28-mile ride: $60
40-mile ride: $60
60-mile ride: $60 (new!)
How to Register a Team:
- When a person wants to register, they must first click on one of the categories (28 miles, 40, 60)
- When they click on that, they can “Create/Join a Team.”
- The first person to register on a team registers as Captain and enters the Team Name (this can be changed later)
- Anyone that wants to join that team will Register as a Teammate and choose the team name from the drop-down menu.
How to Register Multiple Riders on a Single Payment:
- When the first person registers, they fill out their information, then hit “Add Another” at the bottom of the form.
- They need to be sure to click on the ride distance category (28/40/60) for each rider.
- You can keep doing this with as many people as you like, and when you get to the payment page, they can put in one credit card.
Ready to Gear Up? Click the wheel below to get started!
Sponsorship & Fundraising
Sponsorship and fundraising opportunities coming soon!
Why We Ride
- Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease among children under the age of 15.
(SOURCE: National Vital Statistics Report)
- There have been only three drugs approved in the first instance for use in children since 1980. Fewer than eight total drugs, consisting of the three above and five others approved for use in adults, have been developed for use in children with cancer –compared with hundreds of drugs developed specifically for adults only. (SOURCE: cancer.gov)
- Childhood cancer is not one disease – there are more than 12 major types of pediatric cancers and over 100 subtypes. (SOURCE: Coalition Against Childhood Cancer)
Gear Up 2022 Sponsors
Thank you to the following bike shops for helping to keep our riders “Geared Up!”
Did You Know?
GCCRI first opened its doors in Feb ’04.
- With 100,000 sqft of space, Greehey CCRI is the largest free-standing childhood cancer research facility in Texas
- 230+ collective years of faculty-level research experience
- 120+ principal investigators and researchers
- 47 PhDs
- 18 Research labs
Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute – UT Health San Antonio
8403 Floyd Curl, MC 7784
San Antonio, TX 78229-9880
Gear Up Organizing Committee:
Greehey CCRI Marketing Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-450-8271
Gregory J. Aune, MD, PhD
Greehey CCRI Principal Investigator
Greehey CCRI Operations Manager
Greehey CCRI Executive Assistant to the Director
Greehey CCRI IT Specialist
Everyone at the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute would like to thank the UT Health San Antonio Marketing & Communications team and the UT Health San Antonio MD Anderson Cancer Center for their guidance and support during the inaugural “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer” bike ride.