Every two minutes, a family is given the devastating news their child has been diagnosed with cancer.
The “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer” bike ride was created to raise public awareness of this childhood-stealing disease and support the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute’s mission to translate today’s discoveries in childhood cancer into tomorrow’s treatments. Proceeds generated will be used to provide funding for innovative research projects that hold great promise but don’t yet qualify for federal or more extensive funding. You are helping to keep the research funding for these potentially lifesaving projects geared up and moving!
Join us on April 2, 2022, as cyclists from all around gather at the Floresville Event Center as we ride along the scenic back roads of Wilson County, TX.
Your participation or sponsorship makes a direct impact on pediatric cancer research and supports cutting-edge research programs that help train the next generation of research scientists and specialists.
If you had registered before the pandemic hit, your entry is still valid, and you are good to go and start your fundraising!
We cannot thank everyone enough for the good thoughts and vibes as all of you have patiently waited for us to relaunch this fantastic event!
So get your ride ready, and let’s “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer!”
Gear Up Against Kids Cancer, Organizing Committee
- Saturday, April 2, 2022
- 7:00A Check-in and on-site registration
- 8:00A Wheels down, all riders
- 11A-1P Rider Lunch
- 2:00P All riders need to be off the routes
We have designed two road courses that will take you from the Floresville Event Center and travel along many of the most scenic roads in Wilson County, Texas, with the beginner’s route covering 28 miles, and the more advanced course covering 38 miles.
This is a self-timed event. Timing chips will NOT be provided.
Are you ready to “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer?”
Early-Bird Registration (thru Mar 18, 2022)
28-mile ride: $40.00
38-mile ride: $40.00
28-mile ride: $50.00
38-mile ride: $50.00
A safety waiver is required. Download waiver
Already registered? Verify your registration HERE
Why We Ride
- Cancer is the number one cause of death by disease among children under the age of 15. (SOURCE: National Vital Statistics Report)
- There have been only three drugs approved in the first instance for use in children since 1980. Fewer than eight total drugs, consisting of the three above and five others also approved for use in adults, have been developed for use in children with cancer –compared with hundreds of drugs that have been developed specifically for adults only. (SOURCE: cancer.gov)
- Childhood cancer is not one disease – there are more than 12 major types of pediatric cancers and over 100 subtypes. (SOURCE: Coalition Against Childhood Cancer)
Did You Know?
GCCRI first opened its doors in Feb ’04.
- With 100,000 sqft of space, Greehey CCRI is the largest free-standing childhood cancer research facility in Texas
- 230+ collective years of faculty-level research experience
- 120+ principal investigators and researchers
- 47 PhDs
- 18 Research labs
Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute – UT Health San Antonio
8403 Floyd Curl, MC 7784
San Antonio, TX 78229-9880
Point Of Contact:
Greehey CCRI Marketing Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org or 210-450-8271
Everyone at the Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute would like to thank the UT Health San Antonio Marketing & Communications team and the Mays Cancer Center for their guidance and support during the inaugural “Gear Up Against Kids Cancer” bike ride.