Director San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics – Part Time Independent Contractor
Launched in 2019, the San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics (SAPPT) is a virtual organization that provides a ‘one voice’ platform for innovative research programs, focused on precision therapeutics, that build on the unique strengths of the four leading research institutions: Southwest Research Institute (SwRI), Texas Biomedical Research Institute (Texas Biomed), University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (UT Health San Antonio), and The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA). SAPPT provides formal infrastructure to integrate the drug discovery pipeline for new therapeutics with individualized therapies using “multi-omic” approaches in precision medicine to address the specific and diverse medical needs of multi-ethnic populations. This programmatic integration and city-wide partnership creates a fundamentally new ecosystem in the biomedical sciences, providing SAPPT a unique opportunity for national and international leadership in this arena.
Outstanding part-time independent contractor opportunity to leverage the ground work and accomplishments of the past two years to lead SAPPT in its next phase of growth and development. Reporting directly to the Leadership Council composed of the Presidents of the four research institutions, the Director will be responsible for SAPPT operations including operational performance, strategic planning coordination, administration, and capturing sustainable external funding. Specific responsibilities include:
- Coordinate strategic planning processes and implement the strategic plan.
- Work closely with the Presidential designees (e.g. VP for Research) to translate SAPPT vision to tangible goals and outcomes.
- Manage working teams (e.g. coordinate and attend meetings, ensure adequate resources are allocated, resolve issues, ).
- Work closely with research scientists and representatives from the partner institutions to track outcomes from funded research projects and clearly articulate the value proposition of SAPPT.
- Request and manage annual operating budgets with the host financial institution (Texas Biomed). Generate quarterly financial reports to present to the Leadership
- Coordinate administration and operations of the SAPPT.
- Create a culture of transparency and communication throughout the program and its partners.
- Develop positive relationships with key stakeholders, including local private and public companies and government
- Identify local, regional and national entrepreneurs/institutions/universities and researchers interested in collaborating with SAPPT.
- Develop and lead a proactive fundraising strategy to sustain the program, particularly focusing on developing collaborative efforts around large, multiyear federal, state, private and not-for-profit funding opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be an accomplished leader with at least 15 years of notable senior level experience in the private, public, and/or nonprofit sectors. Will have demonstrated positive, sustained impacts in complex and dynamic organizations, where collaboration and influence management were critical to success. Will have a track record of setting and meeting ambitious but achievable goals. With the ultimate expectation that SAPPT will catalyze growth of the biomedical industry, the ideal candidate must be proficient in presenting, networking, and maintaining strong relationships. Given the focus of SAPPT, a scientific background, combined with strong communication skills is desired.
Qualified candidates will possess an understanding of and appreciation for working within a private research institution and/or university and the diverse needs for operational and financial support. Candidates with experience in start-up organizations and who have coordinated fundraising efforts are strongly desired. A relevant Master’s degree from an accredited college or university is required and a Doctoral degree is preferred.
Half-time (~20 hours/week) appointment as an independent contractor. Salary commensurate with skills and experience. Experience/knowledge of SwRI, Texas Biomed, UT Health San Antonio, and UTSA is preferred but not required.
Future Potential of the Role
While the SAPPT Director position is being filled as a part-time independent contractor at this time, the selected candidate will have the opportunity to drive growth of, and external funding support, for SAPPT leading to the potential for a full-time role in the future.
Contact and Relevant Websites
Email your submission of a CV and cover letter describing your relevant expertise by 5 pm Central time on March 31, 2022 as a single PDF document to Liz Tullis at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “SAPPT Director, your last name”.
San Antonio Partnership for Precision Therapeutics: sappt.org
Southwest Research Institute: swri.org
Texas Biomedical Research Institute: txbiomed.org
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio: uthscsa.edu
The University of Texas at San Antonio: utsa.edu
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, marital
status, pregnancy, genetic information, or other legally protected status.